Tuesday, October 28, 2008

The Etiquette Dinner and Diversity

For many classes, attending the Etiquette Dinner is mandatory. I went last spring for Dr. Calabrese's class and I enjoyed it very much. Good table manners, actually good manners in general, have been stressed upon my sister and I since we were little girls. The Etiquette Dinner only reinforced how important it is to conduct yourself in business-like situations. The Etiquette Dinner is Thursday, Nov. 13, from 5-7 p.m. in the social hall. Tickets are $15 for DU students. I recommend ALL students go...even if you're accustomed to chewing with your mouth closed.


My question is this: Why does the Etiquette Dinner only cover the basics for American/European style dining??


It seems to me that sushi restaurants are becoming trendier and trendier every day. Business dinners are being held at sushi restaurants more frequently every day. My friend, Liz Rymanowska, is a manager at an LA Tan in Chicago. Her business partners always conduct their meetings at sushi houses in the city.


Coming from an Italian-American family, I'm used to eating with a fork and knife. When it comes to using chopsticks, proper etiquette, or should I say proper technique, is something totally foreign to me. If I go to a sushi house and use chopsticks, it is normal or proper to place an entire piece of sushi in my mouth?? Or, should I stick with the American style and cut the piece of sushi with a fork and knife??


You tell me.

gingerred.com

2 comments:

  1. Interesting ideas, Natalie! I still find that business sushi dinners are more the exception than the rule, but will see if we can address some "diversity dining" questions at the 11/13 dinner. Thanks for the suggestion.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a good point...we're now a global community.

    I personally have never tried sushi...I love fish, I just can't get past the uncooked part.

    ReplyDelete