Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Blocking off the back parking lot: safety issue or not?

Every night between 2 a.m.-6 a.m., the back parking lot off of Park Avenue is gated off. All cars entering and leaving must go around the main entrance and enter through the main circle drive.



I believe this is done to prevent unwanted guests from entering the back parking lot in the middle of the night and to prevent theft from occuring.

I've always wondered though, whether or not this is a potential safety issue. Think about it. If there was an emergency in the middle of the night and the police or fire department had to get through to the dorms, they, like everybody else, would have to go all the way around. I feel like this would slow down response time if there was ever a real emergency.

Besides, does blocking off the parking lot for a few hours really prevent theft? The parking lot is still very open, and anyone could walk right in... or drive around if they really wanted to.

What are your thoughts? Safety issue or not? I'll be following up on this post after I have a chance to talk with security.

7 comments:

  1. Great point here!! You should definitely speak with some head haunchos on this. Interesting. Very Interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it's pretty dumb. You can still get in from the circle drive anyway, I'm not sure why it has to be block off. Not to mention the fact that I have lost count how many times I have almost run into that darned gate at 3 am because I forgot it was closed. Awesome....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kudo's to the photographer who took this amazing photo.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I guess if it were a real emergency, the fire trucks could just drive really fast and burst through that gate. I've seen it in movies!

    ReplyDelete
  5. you people are fucking dumb it was the neighbors that wanted that block........

    ReplyDelete