Tuesday, October 21, 2008

The same five students

Now, this is all my personal opinion, but I've noticed that the majority of clubs and organizations at Dominican typically include the same five or six students. It seems that these groups on campus are not very diverse at all. But why is that? And what could be done to diversify the organizations so it's not just a group of friends or the same five kids who are involved with everything?
Is this even a problem? Maybe not, but it's something to think about.
If you have any insight or opinions on this issue, please comment.

3 comments:

  1. I totally agree with you! It seems like the same people run a whole bunch of different things. That's not really democratic, is it? There are a ton of people on campus that can contribute greatly to diversifying extracirriculars and what not. Why aren't they? I mean, are these same, let's say, dictators not giving others the opportunity to participate?

    ReplyDelete
  2. All students have the same right to participate in clubs as any other. It's whether or not they take the opportunity to do so that makes a difference.

    Being one of those five or six students that does eveything, I think it is a problem. While I love all of the things I am able to so, I would love if more people stepped up and ran things. It gives a lot of good experience and, as lame as it sounds, it really develops leadership skills. Plus, I wouldn't have to do so much work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's been that way for much longer than you realize. When I was a student it was the same way; you had a small group who were very involved, a small group who were kind of involved, and they the other 95% of the community who would come and go from class and not be involved in any way.

    I think it's a side effect of the day and age we live in.

    ReplyDelete