Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Are time management workshops a waste of time?

I noticed on the myDU webpage that Dominican has been offering a series of student success workshops throughout the semester. The first two, "Reading and Note Taking" and "Time Management", took place on September 16 and 17 and October 14 and 15, respectively. The third is titled "Finish with a Flourish" and will take place on November 4 and 5 from 2:30-3:30 p.m. in Parmer 005.

I'm wondering if these workshops are actually beneficial to students?

"I think that time management workshops are a good idea," said sophomore Rick Boyte, "however I feel you have to know how to manage your time in order to go to them. It's kind of contradicting."

Senior Ryan Halbig went to a set of these workshops in the spring of 2007. "The idea behind it is really good, and the implementation is well thought out and well planned, however I felt like a lot of students were there because they had to be," he said. "It did actually help though. I started scheduling a little more. But it depends on the individual student."

On a more personal level, I'm a full time student, I work two jobs and I'm also involved in extra-curriculars on campus. I'm a busy girl! If I find myself with an extra hour during the day where I have nothing to do, I'm not going to lie, I'd opt for a nap rather than a success workshop. But that's just me.

Maybe these workshops are beneficial. Maybe there are students out there who, like Halbig, have benefited from them and will use the skills they have learned, not only in college but for the rest of their lives. But maybe not.

Your thoughts, opinions, and/or personal experiences would be appreciated.

No comments:

Post a Comment